Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Rodeo Reading Roundup!

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Houston Rodeo is upon us, so it's time to check out some books about cows, farms and cowpokes!

Click, Clack, Moo:  Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin
When Farmer Brown's cows find a typewriter in the barn, they start making demands and go on strike when the farmer refuses to give them what they want!



Barn Dance by Pat Hutchins
After Horse, Sheep, and Pig dance until they must lie down to rest, their little ones sneak out to continue the party.



Cowboy Bunnies by Christine Loomis
Little bunnies spend their day pretending to be cowboys: riding their ponies, mending fences, counting cows, eating chow, and singing cowboy tunes until it is time for bed.



Action Song:  "I'm a Little Cowpoke"
Sung to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot"

I'm a little cowpoke, here is my hat
Here are my spurs and here are my chaps
As soon as I wake up, I work all day
Get on my horse and ride away!

"Old MacDonald Had a Farm"

Old MacDonald had a farm
E-I-E-I-O
And on this farm he had some chickens
E-I-E-I-O
With a cluck, cluck here
And a cluck, cluck there
Here a cluck, there a cluck
Everywhere a cluck, cluck
Old MacDonald had a farm
E-I-E-I-O

We sang several verses, and the children supplied the ideas for other animals on the farm, including pigs, horses, and even elephants and lions!  That's quite an exotic farm, Old MacDonald!

What does every cowpoke need?  A horse, of course!
You can make your own at home by tracing your shoeprint for the face,
then adding a neck and two triangles for the ears.  Cut some yarn for a
fabulous mane, use a black crayon for the nostrils and add googley eyes...
Thanks to the afternoon kiddos for the idea of adding a mustache to my creation!


No comments:

Post a Comment